These adorable desserts, which look like little potted flowers, are all the rage now in Puerto Rico. The “earth” is a rich chocolate mousse topped with dark chocolate cookie crumbs—an edible flower (or candy flower from a specialty baking store) poking out of the soil completes the illusion.
Makes 6 to 8 servings (depending on the size of the pots)
Prep Time: 45 minutes (plus 2 to 24 hours of chilling)
One 12-ounce bag bittersweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons dark rum
1 ½ tablespoons instant espresso powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
3 extra-large eggs, separated
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 packages of Oreo Crisps chocolate cookies, crushed
6 to 8 edible flowers, with stems if possible or candy flowers from a bakery supply shop
- Mix chocolate chips, rum, espresso powder, vanilla, salt, and ½ cup water in a large heatproof bowl.
- Set over a pot of simmering water and whisk until melted.
- Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, using a hand mixer, beat the egg yolks with ½ cup of the sugar until pale yellow and fluffy and you can see the bottom of the bowl as you beat, about 2 minutes.
- Fold about 1/3 of the chocolate mixture into the yolks with a rubber spatula, then fold the egg mix into the chocolate remaining in the bowl.
- Set aside.
- Wash the beaters and bowl thoroughly and dry them.
- Beat the egg whites with the remaining ½ cup sugar until they hold soft peaks when the beaters are lifted from them.
- Fold 1/3 of the whites into the chocolate mixture with a rubber spatula.
- Once incorporated, fold the remaining whites into the chocolate mixture.
- In a clean bowl, beat the cream until it holds firm peaks.
- Fold the cream into the chocolate mixture one-third at a time using a rubber spatula.
- Divide the mousse among 8 food-safe flower pots (see Note) or dessert cups.
- Chill at least 2 hours or up to one day.
- Put the cookies in a heavy sealable plastic bag.
- Whack them with a rolling pin into coarse pieces, then roll until fine crumbs.
- Top each dish of mousse with crumbled chocolate cookies to resemble “soil”.
- Finish with edible flowers. Standing them straight up by inserting the stems into the mousse.
Note: Food-safe pots are available in specialty bakeware shops and online at www.kingarthurflour.com.