Editor’s Note: Here’s a healthy, delicious version of Chicken Enchiladas, Mario Lopez Style…perfect for celebrating the upcoming Hispanic Heritage Month!
Read Related: Mario Lopez’ Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
6 corn tortillas
2 tsp olive oil
½ cup diced bell pepper
½ cup diced onion
½ tsp salt
½ tsp dried oregano
6 oz cooked chicken breast, shredded
2 Tbsp canned green chilis
1 cup mild salsa, divided
2 cups baby spinach
½ cup low fat shredded cheese (cheddar or Monterey Jack recommended)
Hot sauce (optional)
Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Wrap tortillas in aluminum foil and place in the oven to warm.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add onions and peppers. Season with salt and oregano and saute for 5 minutes
- Add chicken, green chilis, ½ cup salsa, and spinach and cook until spinach is wilted.
- Remove tortillas from the oven and spray a 9 x 9 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place ¼ cup of chicken mixture in a tortilla, roll up and transfer to baking dish; repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Top tortillas with remaining salsa and cheese and bake for 10 minutes until cheese is melted. Garnish with chopped scallions and serve with hot sauce, if desired.