This is one of the easiest salads in the Latin American repertoire. Beets are known as betabel or as remolacha, depending on where you are. The simple vinaigrette enhances the sweetness of the beets. Use gloves any time you work with beets, or they will stain your fingers.
3 large or 6 small beets, peeled
¼ c sliced red onions
⅓ c white wine vinegar
¼ c olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- To cook beets, peel them and place them in a pot.
- Cover with water and bring to a boil; cook until fork tender.
- Drain the beets and cool them to room temperature.
- Slice them thinly and place them on a serving platter. Top the beets with the onion.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper; drizzle this dressing over the salad.
- Cover and chill for at least 20 minutes (or up to 24 hours). Serve cold.
Note: You may also use canned beets, in a pinch.