To me there is nothing cuter than dressing up your kid as something edible. My friend told me a story about how her young daughter once shrieked in public “Mami Nooooo” because my friend, her mom, was closing in to give her a love bite. The baby noticed the predatory look and freaked out.
We all love to bite our children from time to time. Especially when they are small and their tiny feet and fat little murlitos are so cute they seem almost edible, (that’s weird, but true). I myself sustained a bite or two at the hands, or mouth, of my older brother Derrick.
So because we sometimes wish we could just eat our children alive, as some species of fish do to protect them (maybe THAT’S where it comes from), I figured, why not dress your niñito as something edible this Halloween!
First up on the menu! Grapes! The Romans memorably, at least in frescos, lavished grapes upon one another, before the main course so I figured I would make that my first costume I am presenting!
- 30-40 purple balloons
- safety pins
- purple sweatsuit
- brown pipe cleaners
- green silk leaves from craft store
- Have your kid dress in a purple matching sweat suit, or you can choose green (or gold) if you plan to make white grapes!
- Inflate and tie 30-40 purple balloons, use a balloon pump to make it easier on your lungs (trust me, best $3 you’ll ever spend)
- Starting at your kids shoulders begin to pin the balloons on to the sweatshirt. Putting the larger balloons towards the top.
- Continue pinning the balloons down the sweatshirt
- Pin a few to your kids legs just to finish off the look!
For the Hat:
- Curl a few brown pipe cleaners around your finger, these make PERFECT vines. Pin these to the outside of the hat
- Pin a few green silk leaves to that hat as well!
Voila, isn’t that grape?
Evette Rios is Mamiverse Food’s Spokesperson and Food Editor. To learn more about Evette click here.