Who can resist warm, melted cheese? Add spicy chorizo and a splash of tequila and you have our queso fundido favorito.
Adding a flame to the tequila allows the alcohol to burn off, leaving a smoky, richly flavored cheese spread. Sometimes when I go out with friends, all we order are cheese dishes like this one, a mountain of warm corn tortillas, and a few cervezas.
It really is all you need for a wonderful evening. Oh, and don’t forget the Mexican music in the background.
Here’s our version for creating this at home.
Read Related: Delicious Goat Cheese with Tostadas
QUESO FUNDIDO CON CHORIZO
Makes: 6 Servings
5 ounces Mexican chorizo, casings removed
½ cup sliced white onion (½-inch strips)
½ cup silver/blanco tequila
12 ounces quesadilla or asadero cheese, shredded
1 TBSP chopped cilantro
6 corn or flour tortillas, warmed
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In an oven-safe iron skillet, cook the chorizo on your stovetop until almost done, about 15 minutes. Drain excess fat.
- Add the onion to the chorizo and cook until browned. Remove pan from the heat.
- Carefully add tequila. Return to heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 to 20 seconds or until most of the tequila has dissipated. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the cheese and combine well. Place skillet in the oven and bake uncovered for about 10 to 15 minutes or until cheese is completely melted and slightly golden brown on top.
- Sprinkle with fresh cilantro. Serve with corn or flour tortillas.
Note: If you need to double the recipe, do not double the tequila, use only ½ cup.
Learn more about Yvette Marquez-Sharpnack.