With the cold weather upon us and hearty foods shouting our names, it’s time to pull out one of my favorite dishes to serve anytime of the year…the Lasagna Cup. They are the perfect appetizer, mini meal, or just a way to enjoy a handheld delicious piece of lasagna.
THE ULTIMATE HANDHELD PIZZA!
I make many different versions of this pasta cupcake and continue to experiment with them. Sometimes it’s a vegetarian night and other times it is carnivore city for the meat eaters in the house. Today, it is a combo of my favorite toppings on pizza: sausage, mushrooms, chili flakes, tomatoes and cheese.
SUPER BOWL ANYONE?
The next time I make them will be for Super Bowl. I will have all my fiancé’s friends here and some will bring their ladies and kids, and the way I see it, these lasagna cups will please everyone. They are hearty enough to feel like you ate something filling, dainty enough to feel like you didn’t overeat, and so tasty everyone will be happy. Make them for your next party or sporting event and watch them fly out of sight.
Read Related: Eva Longoria’s Mexican Lasagna
SAUSAGE MUSHROOM LASAGNA CUPCAKES
14 lasagna noodles (cooked according to package)
¼ cup ricotta
½ cup cooked sausage
1/3 fresh chopped mushrooms
Chili flakes (the kind you eat on pizza)
¼ cup canned chopped tomatoes
1 cup shredded mozzarella
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
12 thinly sliced fresh tomato rounds (about 2 medium sized tomatoes)
Basil for garnish
1 can Non-Stick cooking spray
1 standard size muffin pan
1. Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
2. Boil lasagna noodles according to package. Drain water and carefully cut off ridged edges of all noodles. Then cut 12 of the noodles in half, you will need two halves per muffin cup. (Use extra noodles for extra coverage if needed.)
3. Lightly spray muffin pan with Non-Stick cooking spray. Then take two pieces of lasagna noodles and form a cross inside muffin cup. Take a teaspoon of ricotta cheese and place it in the center of overlapping noodles.
4. Add a teaspoon of cooked pork sausage, add a teaspoon layer of mushrooms. a pinch of chili flakes, a teaspoon of chopped tomatoes and a small pinch of mozzarella cheese.
5. Then take two sides and fold into cheese. Then take the other two sides and close. Will overlap slightly. Lastly place a sliced tomato on top and mound with a pinch of cheddar cheese.
6. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until cheese on top is golden crisp. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.
Learn more about Nicole Presley.